Skip to main content

Review1 'Black Mirror' Season 4 Episode 2: Arkangel

Black Mirror Season 4 Episode 2: Arkangel review

: The two faces of parental love

by Summer

Rating: ♥♥♥♡♡

THIS REVIEW IS WRITTEN FOR ONES WHO HAVE ALREADY WATCHED THE EPISODE

Arkangel, a chip technology implanted in children's head allows parents to monitor what their kids see, track their location, and vivify the cause for the children's stress. At first, the technology seems to protect Sarah but it grew to be a problem so Marie--Sarah's mom--stopped using it. As Sarah enters adolescence, Maries feels the need for Arkangel once again, thus changing the mother-daughter relationship dramatically. 

The implantable chip is a technology not of distant future. Monitoring every single thing that a child sees may not be possible; however, tracking them by GPS is already commercialized. Therefore, 'black mirror' is raising awareness about the new possibility and its byproducts.

Some say that such a technology is meant to protect children who must be guarded against harm's way by all means necessary. In this regard, I understand Marie's decision. Who can blame a mother's intent to protect her child when there are so many dangers in the world? But "Arkangel" appears to have crossed the line of ethics, thus bringing out the dark side of it all. One must recall and review why overprotectiveness which then gave birth to neologisms like 'helicopter mom' or kangaroo mom' is being viewed with jeer and contempt.

As the eldest daughter of three, some people mistakenly assume that I had not been the subject of overprotection--the only child is usually perceived to be overprotected. To their surprise, I had been under intense care from my parents. Thinking that the world was dangerous for an innocent child like myself, my parents raised me like a princess. The kitchen was off-limits, nor had I been forced to do any other chores. Though I am grateful for their goodwill, I look on the other side of such protection; children are meant to experiment, challenge, and dash into the world, surmounting their fears, not to be monitored and tracked down by their parents like pets.

Marie didn't acknowledge her daughter as an individual who could make decisions on her own. She also believed her daughter Sarah to be stress-free and always enjoy the bright side of what life offered. She failed to see how mom could not stay with their children forever. Therefore, parents must allow children to confront and deal with life's predicament if necessary see the reality with their bare eyes.

I quite enjoyed this episode because it offered an important insight through which we must examine our society. But I was somewhat disappointed by a vague ending in the end; therefore, I give three stars out of five.

Comments

  1. Last paragraph with your direct opinion could be a bit more developed, but I like your flow and development and general observation that this type of tech is already here. Well written and balanced. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Metafiction: The man that noticed his hand

Once upon a time, there was a woman named Doo-you living in New York. She used to work at a cosmetics company, five days a week from 9 in the morning to 6 in the evening. She thought her life was very much stable and was satisfied with it before a typical incident that changed her life... She now had grandsons and granddaughters, and she starts to tell them that story, the worst experience in her life that she can never forget. Once upon a time, there was a man living in New York. He worked at an insurance company which was 3 stories under Doo-you's cosmetic company , five days a week from 9 in the morning to 6 in the evening so  two met every day on the elevator.  One day, as he was typing on his laptop, it suddenly occurred to him that his hands were grotesque. The end of his arms was divided into five lanky, ugly, pieces that could move separately. He immediately felt disgusted at this weird part of him. At first, he thought that the whole thing was a dream. He slapped and

Meeting the Real Me (ear plugs)

At first, it came as a free gift from an online shopping mall. Thinking that the pair of earplug would surely come in handy, I kept them in my backpack for sometime in the future. Then, there came a day when this pair of squishy little rubber came to my attention. My sensitive nature sometimes gives me a hard time when my roommate’s working on her homework late at night. At times, I wished I had a roommate who shares the same life pattern as mine, but it was just a dream far away. When, again, she was working on her science device late at night, and I was in the most desperate need of sleep. I remembered the existence of these earplugs. I rummaged through my backpack and took them out, and stuck them in my ears. The sensitivity to noise magically disappeared, and I happily fell asleep. Shutting ears to the negative comments and opinions. Our physiological nature forbids such an amazing feature. Often, I envy those who claim to have selective hearing. When asked what superpower

This I Believe-Power of Conducting

I believe that an invisible yet magical harmony flows out and saturates my audience when I swing my conductor's baton. Though many people think that I conduct an orchestra, I, in fact, conduct myself. In natural science, the word conduct refers to the heat or electric activity passing through materials. In other words, it portrays an energy flow. In music, the word offers a meaning so different. Being a flutist for almost a decade, I was an avid member of an orchestra. Finding the perfect tune together with other members was a sheer joy. Over time, I led four major concerts and grew as a conductor: the 22nd waver conductor of KMLA orchestra. Looking back, I never dreamt of becoming a conductor. Applying to be a conductor was a whim of the moment thing. And ten months after that I was named the conductor of KMLA orchestra. I can clearly recall the first time I picked my baton at the morning assembly. Nervous, I could barely utter any word. But after much endeavor,