Skip to main content

Memoir 1st draft

I remember... - 180206 inclass work


Write anything you want, but follow this one simple rule: Every sentence MUST begin with "I remember..."Consider style, sentence structure (length, use of commas and semicolons), flow and content



I remember the day my baby brother came back home from the hospital after he was born. I remember him crying and peeing on my clothes, but I still love him.

I remember hitting my younger sister's head with a toy when we were both young. I remember that my sister had a hard time breathing and that I was scolded and locked in the bathroom for a while. I remember the incident so well and will never forget it even though it happened when I was only 3 years old because it was quite a shock to me.

I remember having two hamsters. I remember that one hamster bit the other to death; I'm not able to raise a hamster after that.

* I remember going to a Summer camp deep in the forest of Canada. I remember being bitten by a mosquito as big as my pinky finger.

I remember going to Austrailia with my friends and school teachers, but not with my parents when I was only in second grade. I remember that we stayed only in the dormitory for three days without electricity and proper food. I remember this was because of the flood that was one of the biggest one in the history of Austrailia.

I remember going to America to give a speech about Korea's culture, Bibimbap. I remember getting on the newspaper and also getting the president award for it.

I remember the four weeks I spent during the summer vacation of eighth grade studying chemistry. I remember for the first three weeks, I didn't even care about getting a price on KChO. I remember that then one day, I suddenly got eager and studied very hard for the last week; I finally got the second place.

I remember going out in the competition for playing instruments. I remember that I played [Fantasie 'On Wings of Music'] and got the first place even though I was the youngest child. I remember that I gained confidence after that and now I enjoy playing the flute.

* I remember that my dad used to go and eat ice cream with me. I remember that it was a big secret between us, and I miss those days.

I remember the day when I threw up after eating raw fish; now I never eat any of those.

I remember my first mid-term exam in KMLA. I remember that I did quite well in middle school, so the scores shocked me very, very much.

* I remember having to stay in the hospital for several days because of a high fever. I remember that I had a hard time getting to sleep, so I made a snowman out of clay with my mom; it is one of the happiest moments in my life.

I remember that I used to ski a lot in the winter and I also enjoyed it. I remember injuring my ankle during gymnastics, and because of this accident, I'm now unable to ski.

Comments

  1. Excellent and playfully poetic and full of nostalgia. Although I encourage students to remove I remembers here and there, none of yours bother me. Great essay you should hang onto. It could use a better conclusion (something a bit more lasting than the randomness of skiing in the winter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Metafiction: The man that noticed his hand

Once upon a time, there was a woman named Doo-you living in New York. She used to work at a cosmetics company, five days a week from 9 in the morning to 6 in the evening. She thought her life was very much stable and was satisfied with it before a typical incident that changed her life... She now had grandsons and granddaughters, and she starts to tell them that story, the worst experience in her life that she can never forget. Once upon a time, there was a man living in New York. He worked at an insurance company which was 3 stories under Doo-you's cosmetic company , five days a week from 9 in the morning to 6 in the evening so  two met every day on the elevator.  One day, as he was typing on his laptop, it suddenly occurred to him that his hands were grotesque. The end of his arms was divided into five lanky, ugly, pieces that could move separately. He immediately felt disgusted at this weird part of him. At first, he thought that the whole thing was a dream. He slapped and

Meeting the Real Me (ear plugs)

At first, it came as a free gift from an online shopping mall. Thinking that the pair of earplug would surely come in handy, I kept them in my backpack for sometime in the future. Then, there came a day when this pair of squishy little rubber came to my attention. My sensitive nature sometimes gives me a hard time when my roommate’s working on her homework late at night. At times, I wished I had a roommate who shares the same life pattern as mine, but it was just a dream far away. When, again, she was working on her science device late at night, and I was in the most desperate need of sleep. I remembered the existence of these earplugs. I rummaged through my backpack and took them out, and stuck them in my ears. The sensitivity to noise magically disappeared, and I happily fell asleep. Shutting ears to the negative comments and opinions. Our physiological nature forbids such an amazing feature. Often, I envy those who claim to have selective hearing. When asked what superpower

This I Believe-Power of Conducting

I believe that an invisible yet magical harmony flows out and saturates my audience when I swing my conductor's baton. Though many people think that I conduct an orchestra, I, in fact, conduct myself. In natural science, the word conduct refers to the heat or electric activity passing through materials. In other words, it portrays an energy flow. In music, the word offers a meaning so different. Being a flutist for almost a decade, I was an avid member of an orchestra. Finding the perfect tune together with other members was a sheer joy. Over time, I led four major concerts and grew as a conductor: the 22nd waver conductor of KMLA orchestra. Looking back, I never dreamt of becoming a conductor. Applying to be a conductor was a whim of the moment thing. And ten months after that I was named the conductor of KMLA orchestra. I can clearly recall the first time I picked my baton at the morning assembly. Nervous, I could barely utter any word. But after much endeavor,