Skip to main content

Memoir 2nd draft

In the Forest of Canada
Visiting my grandparents who immigrated to Montreal, Canada, I was given chances to explore countless charms that this amazing country had to offer. I remember, in the summer, 2013, my sister and I were sent off to a camp with a card named Young Passenger Traveling Alone (YPTA) against our will. Being terrified by the idea of spending an entire month away from my beloved family and without all the things that sustained my quality life, I remember imploring my parents not to send me there up until the very moment I was cold-heartedly dropped off at the campsite.
I remember I was frightened at the new environment. When finally, I realized there was nothing I could do, I inhaled like I would suck up all the oxygen in the atmosphere and let out a sigh deep enough to reach down to the core of the Earth. Not to be seen nor to be treated like a wimpy little weakling by my younger sister who faced the same fate, I told myself to toughen up, wake up, and be a big girl.
I remember the camp was full of surprises--in the most negative way possible. When first assigned to a cabin, I remember groping around for a light switch for minutes, yet there was no electricity. Never did I imagine living without all those things that I took for granted in civilized and industrialized society I came from. Shock, sorrow, and anger all the negative emotions I could list were building up from deep inside of me. For the first few days at the camp, I asked myself what did I do wrong to be sent to this life-emaciating environment. In the morning, I screamed at the discovery of a mosquito bite as big as my thumb. Before bedtime, I set up a pseudo fence around my cabin to prevent possible intrusion of wild animals, especially snakes. Worst of all, a hot shower which I enjoyed every morning was no more. All those luxuries I considered granted were greatly missed.
The camp programs, which everyone seemed to enjoy, terrified me. Swimming in a lake, I remember freaking out at the discovery of water snake slithering on the surface of the lake. When this panic attack overtook me, I lost control and drowned. When I was scooped up by other Canadian friends, I remember just being made it to the camps Hall of Fame as the funniest Asian girl.
Then there came a moment, I said no more. No more being a laughing stock. I decided to act like the toughest girl, a forest-born adventurer. A mind control. Then everything started to look differently. Who said that there is the first time for everything? Though it was somewhat overwhelming at first, I decided to taste every bit. When asked to give hands, I raised my hands up high. I was amazed at myself for rowing a boat and going into an island far away from the campsite. I remember at night, girls gathered around a bonfire and chatted about our ridiculous experiences and even ranked the weeks hottest boy at the camp and laughed out loud.  I remember making the worlds best Smore with the bonfire. Let the cool breeze cleanse our soul. I remember singing together and gave each other shoulder to lean on. To this day, I cherish every bit of the memory I made at the camp. I miss it, miss my Canadian friends with all my heart.


This is part of the mails I have exchanged with friends whom I met at camp.

Comments

  1. Nice second draft! Again, this was a ton of fun to read in class and you have unique style of narrative that is enjoyable and flowing. Keep this one around for next year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Metafiction: The man that noticed his hand

Once upon a time, there was a woman named Doo-you living in New York. She used to work at a cosmetics company, five days a week from 9 in the morning to 6 in the evening. She thought her life was very much stable and was satisfied with it before a typical incident that changed her life... She now had grandsons and granddaughters, and she starts to tell them that story, the worst experience in her life that she can never forget. Once upon a time, there was a man living in New York. He worked at an insurance company which was 3 stories under Doo-you's cosmetic company , five days a week from 9 in the morning to 6 in the evening so  two met every day on the elevator.  One day, as he was typing on his laptop, it suddenly occurred to him that his hands were grotesque. The end of his arms was divided into five lanky, ugly, pieces that could move separately. He immediately felt disgusted at this weird part of him. At first, he thought that the whole thing was a dream. He slapped and

Meeting the Real Me (ear plugs)

At first, it came as a free gift from an online shopping mall. Thinking that the pair of earplug would surely come in handy, I kept them in my backpack for sometime in the future. Then, there came a day when this pair of squishy little rubber came to my attention. My sensitive nature sometimes gives me a hard time when my roommate’s working on her homework late at night. At times, I wished I had a roommate who shares the same life pattern as mine, but it was just a dream far away. When, again, she was working on her science device late at night, and I was in the most desperate need of sleep. I remembered the existence of these earplugs. I rummaged through my backpack and took them out, and stuck them in my ears. The sensitivity to noise magically disappeared, and I happily fell asleep. Shutting ears to the negative comments and opinions. Our physiological nature forbids such an amazing feature. Often, I envy those who claim to have selective hearing. When asked what superpower

This I Believe-Power of Conducting

I believe that an invisible yet magical harmony flows out and saturates my audience when I swing my conductor's baton. Though many people think that I conduct an orchestra, I, in fact, conduct myself. In natural science, the word conduct refers to the heat or electric activity passing through materials. In other words, it portrays an energy flow. In music, the word offers a meaning so different. Being a flutist for almost a decade, I was an avid member of an orchestra. Finding the perfect tune together with other members was a sheer joy. Over time, I led four major concerts and grew as a conductor: the 22nd waver conductor of KMLA orchestra. Looking back, I never dreamt of becoming a conductor. Applying to be a conductor was a whim of the moment thing. And ten months after that I was named the conductor of KMLA orchestra. I can clearly recall the first time I picked my baton at the morning assembly. Nervous, I could barely utter any word. But after much endeavor,