Skip to main content

This I Believe-Power of Conducting

I believe that an invisible yet magical harmony flows out and saturates my audience when I swing my conductor's baton. Though many people think that I conduct an orchestra, I, in fact, conduct myself.

In natural science, the word conduct refers to the heat or electric activity passing through materials. In other words, it portrays an energy flow. In music, the word offers a meaning so different.

Being a flutist for almost a decade, I was an avid member of an orchestra. Finding the perfect tune together with other members was a sheer joy. Over time, I led four major concerts and grew as a conductor: the 22nd waver conductor of KMLA orchestra.

Looking back, I never dreamt of becoming a conductor. Applying to be a conductor was a whim of the moment thing. And ten months after that I was named the conductor of KMLA orchestra.

I can clearly recall the first time I picked my baton at the morning assembly. Nervous, I could barely utter any word. But after much endeavor, I stood on my feet. Not to embarrass myself, I practiced conducting behind a mirror. On my first debut, I was too tensed, I could barely move my muscle. It was as if my body refused to follow signals transmitting from my bodily command center.

Worse was the fact that I was brutally ridiculed on an anonymous Facebook page, KMLA Bamboo Forest. This drained all my energy. For the spring concert was allotted for the former conductor. However, he abruptly announced that he wouldn't even attend the concert.

This offered me yet another chance to prove myself in front of the audience. I poured out every drop of my energy into the event not to mess up. To my own dismay, the nightmare revisited. For the first few months, I would save my meal time to practice. At times, I threw myself into the bed and wept for not meeting the expectation that I set for myself.

Slowly, it dawned on me that being a conductor is not like performing for the audience. I realized that I should step onto the stage for every single member in the orchestra. Instead of focusing on how I should look, I filled myself with the sense of obligation as a leader who must inspire all the other members.

Now that the year 2018 is coming to an end, I am amazed by how much I grew. I had to push myself farther so I could help myself and others. I learned to express myself with clarity and learned to pay attention to what my members had to say. More importantly, I learned to sense the inaudible voice of other members who always shied away from voicing out their opinion. Well, I had to adapt.

Most importantly, I learned that being a conductor is not about standing on the stage for the concert day. Rather, a good conductor's play is bigger before we perform on the stage. During the practice, I had to earn my members' trust, boost their morale, and promote professionalism.

As many Koreans are keenly aware, Korean school culture is rigidly hierarchical by grade level and age groups. To me, such culture was nothing more than an impediment. I lowered myself to accommodate younger classmen's demands.

Recently, I received the most flattering comment from my fellow orchestra member about what I did over the past year. To conduct, I laid down all the frills. I had to keep my hearts and ears open.


I still feel scared to stand before the morning assembly. However, now, as long as I am in front of my orchestra, I greet every member with a smile to alleviate their tension. And when I lift my baton, everyone knows that WE all craft the perfect harmony. No longer is it I. I am not insulator anymore; I am Conductor Kim. This I believe.


Comments

  1. Good essay. Gets off to a great start with that deep context and "conducting" energy etc. As the essay continues it begins to enter the familiar frame of an "orchestra essay" in the same way a "soccer essay" might be somewhat predictable by topic alone, so that is something to improve upon for next year's college essays. Probably continuing that mode of creative exploration you started with could have been interesting. Well done for the most part.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Metafiction: The man that noticed his hand

Once upon a time, there was a woman named Doo-you living in New York. She used to work at a cosmetics company, five days a week from 9 in the morning to 6 in the evening. She thought her life was very much stable and was satisfied with it before a typical incident that changed her life... She now had grandsons and granddaughters, and she starts to tell them that story, the worst experience in her life that she can never forget. Once upon a time, there was a man living in New York. He worked at an insurance company which was 3 stories under Doo-you's cosmetic company , five days a week from 9 in the morning to 6 in the evening so  two met every day on the elevator.  One day, as he was typing on his laptop, it suddenly occurred to him that his hands were grotesque. The end of his arms was divided into five lanky, ugly, pieces that could move separately. He immediately felt disgusted at this weird part of him. At first, he thought that the whole thing was a dream. He slapped and

Meeting the Real Me (ear plugs)

At first, it came as a free gift from an online shopping mall. Thinking that the pair of earplug would surely come in handy, I kept them in my backpack for sometime in the future. Then, there came a day when this pair of squishy little rubber came to my attention. My sensitive nature sometimes gives me a hard time when my roommate’s working on her homework late at night. At times, I wished I had a roommate who shares the same life pattern as mine, but it was just a dream far away. When, again, she was working on her science device late at night, and I was in the most desperate need of sleep. I remembered the existence of these earplugs. I rummaged through my backpack and took them out, and stuck them in my ears. The sensitivity to noise magically disappeared, and I happily fell asleep. Shutting ears to the negative comments and opinions. Our physiological nature forbids such an amazing feature. Often, I envy those who claim to have selective hearing. When asked what superpower